Click here to print
Turtle Inn’s Tender Thatch Caught Fire
Fri, October 6, 2017
The fire at Turtle Inn Resort between miles 22 and 23 on the Placencia Peninsula started when a thatch roof over the kitchen caught fire. That's what police say after a two hour firefight that saved the rooms, but saw the offices, the kitchen area and the winery destroyed.

The blaze started at around 2:45 when five cooks were inside the Kitchen when they smelled smoke and saw a small area where the metal chimney exits through the thatched roof engulfed in flames. They tried to put it out, but the fire caught and quickly began to spread causing the rest of the thatched roof to be destroyed.

The entire wooden bungalow quickly caught on fire and the National Fire Service along with employees of the resort and villagers worked to put out the fire - which took about two hours to control.

Police report that the building is insured, but the value of damages to the building and its contents are yet to be ascertained.

Close this window